In October 1958 Rev. J. Daniel Barron, District Superintendent of the Methodist Church, announced that two new Methodist Churches would be established in Wichita Falls, TX. The Churches would be Beverly Drive Methodist, which would be erected at South Beverly and Lela Lane in the Wichita Gardens section of town, and the Methodist Mexican Mission, which would occupy the vacated Adams Street Methodist at Fifth and Adams Street. (Now Fifth and Martin Luther King Blvd)

The Adams Street congregation disbanded because of the population shift in that area. Some of their members had moved to other parts of town and were driving 10 miles or more each Sunday for services.

Special Services were held on Sunday October 27, 1958 at 3 pm for the formal dedication of the Adams Street Methodist and donation of the building to the Rio Grande Conference of the Methodist Church. The Rio Grande Conference was composed of Spanish speaking Methodists in Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona.

Assisted by Rev. James N. Johnson, Adams Street pastor, Rev. Barron performed the Dedication Service prior to the Donation Ceremonies. Dr. A. M. Gomez, Superintendent of the Northern district of the Rio Grande Conference, accepted the $40,000 Adams Street plant which was established in 1926.

Rev. James N. Johnson was named pastor of the new Beverly Drive Methodist by the North Texas Conference of the Methodist Church. With many of the Adams Street congregation in attendance, the Beverly Drive church held its first organizational meeting on Sunday, November 2, 1958 at the City View School where services were held until the first unit of Beverly Drive Methodist was completed. During the next year their membership would grow from 38 to just over 100. The Evangelism Committee was determined to make it 150 members in 1959.

In mid-October, 1959 a contract was awarded to Curtis W. Taylor to erect the first unit of the master plan for Beverly Drive Methodist Church. The architects were Pardue and Read, Architects and Engineers. The building would be of brick, providing temporary sanctuary and classroom facilities at an estimated cost of $40,000.

Ground-breaking ceremonies were conducted on Sunday afternoon, October 22, 1959 and work began to bring the hopes and prayers of the congregation to fruition.

Members of the Building Committee were; Claude Draper, chairman; Don Yokley, Treasurer; Roma Yokley, Secretary; Lonnie Hamlin, Bill McCombs, James Keen, Louis Parks, Melvin Norris, Dick Wood, Dean Coats, George Briley, and George Stogner.

BDUMC Home Page